pierfishing.com :: FAQ :: search :: memberlist :: album
  Sign-up as new user :: log in

Sign-up as new user | I forgot my password

Page 1, 2  Next
PFIC Message Boards >> Pier Fishing in California Fishing Clubs Reply to this topic
>> PFIC Fishing Club #10 Eureka Piers and area [topic: previous/next]
PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2011 1:00 pm
Ken Jones

Are there enough people in the area to have an official club?
PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2011 7:24 pm
Dwl707

Probably not, at least on this board, but there are a number of people that fish the jetties, piers, beaches and rocks with some form of regularity.
Top of page
Send private message Make a quoted reply on this post
PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2011 2:59 pm
clayman

From what I remember, the Eureka area anglers are a secretive bunch of folks. There's plenty of them around, but they don't like to talk too much about fishing. They do lurk on the PFIC message boards. I had total strangers calling me Clayman on the jetties on multiple occasions.
PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2011 9:18 pm
Salvelinus

what piers? One thing i wish was more piers with in the limits of the 2nd largest bay in California.

The jetties are fun, just gotta hope the weather cooperates enough
Top of page
PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2011 6:33 am
clayman

Salvelinus wrote:
what piers? One thing i wish was more piers with in the limits of the 2nd largest bay in California.

There's a few within the Bay. Del Norte Street Pier, Commercial Street Dock (aka Englund Marine), Adorni Center, and Eureka Municipal Wharf. I've only fished/crabbed on the former two. I've had a few good trips on the piers there for sharks and crabs, but the strong tidal currents in the channels can make fishing difficult. If there's a bunch of eelgrass floating around to get caught on your line, then forget it.

If you buy Ken Jones' "Pier Fishing in California" book, it has details on every pier in the State, along with loads of other good info. Highly recommended.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2011 8:05 am
maki909

Salvelinus wrote:

If you really want to fish a pier go to the trinidad pier. if the tide is incoming or flat and the swell is below 7ft and the vis is decent hit the trinidad pier up at night. Last time I went I caught a bunch of little rockfish. but that was almost a month ago. the bigger guys should have moved in hopefully.
Top of page
PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2011 8:35 am
Dwl707

You just got to get versatile, honestly. You got to find your spots on the rocks in trindad, where to throw swimbaits for halibut on the years they come in good, crack the jetties, and when and where to fish for perch. Learn the rivers and you can fish year round.
Top of page
PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2011 2:22 pm
Salvelinus

yeah i usually crab of the adorni or commercial street pier, only checked out the del norte street pier once but i didnt fish it. I was fishing trinidad pier yesterday evening for about an hour, really low tide, was fishing mainly right under the pier and around the 2 rocks to the north. got a couple small bites, ended up landing a small grassy and a couple little kelp greenlings.

was fishing plastics at first, then switched to herring and squid cause the water was murk.

went to the north jetti today to throw some plastics, was greeted by a very high tide and discovered i forgot my waders and rubber boots so i couldnt get out to the jetti. there was a group poke poling and another couple fishing. threw a couple casts near the coast guard for a small greenling. itchin for the water to warm up and the boat season to begin
Top of page
PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2011 5:40 pm
maki909

ya the ocean is a little off rite now because the tide is so bad. but when it starts to flatten out it should start turnin on.
Top of page
PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2011 6:52 pm
Dwl707

nvm
Top of page
PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2011 7:36 pm
maki909

Dwl707 wrote:
nvm

?????? wat do u mean by this?
Top of page
PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2011 5:07 pm
Dwl707

Long term forecast is look like a break in the weather late next week with quiet seas. Time to dig-out the black label herring, 6/0 octopus, wire leaders and sharpen the gaff for the 1st.Anyone else planning fishing the ling opener next friday?
Top of page
PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2011 7:09 pm
maki909

Dwl707 wrote:
Long term forecast is look like a break in the weather late next week with quiet seas. Time to dig-out the black label herring, 6/0 octopus, wire leaders and sharpen the gaff for the 1st.Anyone else planning fishing the ling opener next friday?

you can count on seeing me and my friends out there.
Top of page
PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2011 6:00 am
Dwl707

And its blown on the first........Anyone still trying to go.
Top of page
PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2011 2:12 pm
maki909

Dwl707 wrote:
And its blown on the first........Anyone still trying to go.

we went out it was bad. Couldnt go much farther than the end of the parking lot because the waves were crashing over the jetty. All we got was a 17 inch greenling.
Top of page
PFIC Message Boards >> Pier Fishing in California Fishing Clubs Reply to this topic
Page 1 of 2  Page 1, 2  Next
Jump to: