pierfishing.com :: FAQ :: search :: memberlist :: album
  Sign-up as new user :: log in

Sign-up as new user | I forgot my password

PFIC Message Boards >> Fishery Conservation, Management and Politics Reply to this topic
>> Death by MPAs - Some collateral damage [topic: previous/next]
PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2011 8:34 am
pierhead

Here is a link to an interesting article that points out some unintended consequences of the MPA closures.

http://independent.com/news/2011/feb/18/death-mpas/
Top of page
Send private message Visit poster's website Make a quoted reply on this post
PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2011 9:58 am
la mosca

Well, I started to skim read after this guy used "distain" to make a point:
Quote:
Especially since the corrupt California MLPA process, one cannot deny that an environmental shadow government does exist and operates with scary efficiency, distain for humanity, and lack of respect for the democratic process.

and what rambling is this?
Quote:
The one name that seems to have stuck, which I feel best describes the covert shadow tactics of the global marine science industrial complex, is the environmental illuminati or, as many refer to them, E.I.

I think there needs be a better way to the MPA process but ramblings like this, are counter productive, IMHO.

Send private message Make a quoted reply on this post
PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2011 8:11 pm
Bat-Ray-Dave

Good reading, he is just telling it like it is.

Default settings unless otherwise noted.
Place = Newport Bay dock
Bait = Big Squid
Rod = Sabre Stroker CTS6455-BRNG
Reel = Penn 114h 6/0 Full-Aluminum Frame
Top of page
Send private message Make a quoted reply on this post
PostPosted: Sat Feb 26, 2011 3:01 am
muttfishr

I don't think its a conspericy so much as a consences amoung the "elite" you know the ones who think of us as the unwashed masses, they supose they have the right because their smarter than we are, they know better than we do, they hold contempt in their hearts for us, I think they've been educated into imbicillity, we should vote them ALL out of office, see how smart they are then, who should you vote for? Anybody but an incumbent! Nobody could do worse than they have already, I just hope it ain't too late!
PostPosted: Sat Feb 26, 2011 10:10 am
slowriprun

Thanks pierhead, keep it coming, please.
PostPosted: Sat Feb 26, 2011 11:01 am
kelpangler

Yes, it makes sense that accidents/deaths would increase. Fisherman are forced to explore fishing grounds that are less familiar to them. Popular fishing spots aren't only traditionally established because of their productivity, but for their relative safety, right? I didn't fish much when I lived on Guam, but I snorkeled a bunch and can definitely attest to the western side being more calm (and thus more populated) than the eastern side.

Will MPAs lead to increased deaths of fishermen here in California? Hard to say with all the factors involved, but it's certainly a change that opens the door for error. In the grand scheme of things, I guess people will look at it as a short term consequence since you'd expect fishermen to gain more knowledge, choose less productive areas, or give up fishing entirely. But is that an acceptable tradeoff? Again, hard to say because it's such a complicated matter with so many factors involved.

Going back to the research, I wish they defined whether these were shore or boat accidents. I'd imagine it's the subsistence fishermen who are getting hammered.
Top of page
Send private message Send e-mail Make a quoted reply on this post
PFIC Message Boards >> Fishery Conservation, Management and Politics Reply to this topic
Page 1 of 1  
Jump to: