Sign-up as new user :: log in

Sign-up as new user | I forgot my password

Page 1, 2  Next
PFIC Message Boards >> Seafood Recipes Reply to this topic
>> Homemade Tortillas for Fish Tacos [topic: previous/next]
PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2011 1:09 pm
MsCMSchultz

Location: BUIDB: "Thats a great shot of a pier from the beach."

I canít provide source of recipe b/c this is what works for me after years of consulting various cookbooks, online sources, advice from people and adapting from other recipes making other things.

Also, donít trip if u canít get the tortillas round--they will still fold in half. Likewise, if they are not real thin, you just made a variation of flat bread. Roundness and thinness will come with experience.

Flour Tortillas

4 cups flour, half whole wheat and half white (best combo, IMO); or all white (this batch was made with all white, all purpose flour)
1-1/2 tspsns salt
1/3 c oil (easier for me to work with and more readily available in my cupboard); or shortening
1 to 1-1/4 c water

Gear

Large mixing bowl, I prefer glass, but other is okay
measuring cup, measuring spoons
Fork with long tines, if not available, a fork
CLEAN hands
board
food wrap
two heavy sheets of plastic (I got some from .99/dollar tree) or waxed paper
small or large rolling pin (small easier for me)
large, heavy skillet (I use an old school cast iron 12Ē skillet; you want a heavy bottomed one to be able to get hot without burning)
something to keep your tortillas warm in, lined with a cloth napkin (if not, just a bowl lined with clean towel)

Process

Put your flour in the bowl, sprinkle the salt over it and just sort of stir it up with fork to spread salt thru flour.

Pour in oil or plop in shortening. Take your fork and cut in oil or shortening until it is uniform and looks like coarse sand; take it easy here, you are not stirring, beating, mushing, mashing or anything like that.

The tricky part, b/c this depends on a lot of other factors, like humidity on the day you are making these: pour in just a cup of water. Sorta stir with fork; after water is absorbed and fork isnít working and dough is leaving the sides of the bowl, use your clean hands to mix; add the other ľ of water 1-2 tablespoons at a time; in between each addition, knead the dough with your hands. It should feel like Play-Doh, and have a nice, elastic texture; you should be able to work it so that it doesnít leave any residue on your hands. (if you add too much water, you can compensate by adding a bit of flour; and vice versa. but try not to get caught in this trap.)

Plop the dough on a board and knead it for a few minutes, until it feels satiny--again, donít overdo it.

At this point, I form it into a large ball, wrap it in plastic wrap and let it rest for at least 20 minutes or all day.

When you remember that you are making tortillas, heat your DRY skillet on stovetop to medium hot. Place your tortilla keeper nearby (you want to keep tortillas warm b/c once they cool, will lose their flexibility.) Divide your dough into 12 equal size balls of dough (I actually make mine smaller.) Cover the small balls of dough loosely w/ plastic wrap so they donít dry out.

Lightly roll the small ball of dough in flour. Place in between waxed paper or sheets of plastic. Roll out as thin as you can with rolling pin.

When it is thin as you can get it, place it gently in the hot skillet. The skillet should be hot enough to cook without scorching to avoid that raw flour taste. Within 10-20 seconds, bubbles should appear; lift the tortilla and peek for browned spots--if they are present, flip to cook other side. Peek and if more brown spots, put in tortilla keeper. Donít let them burn--
that happens pretty quickly and they will need to be discarded.

After a while, you will be able to roll the next tortilla while one is baking.

If you have leftover tortillas, hereís how to use them:

Quesadillas: Heat up your skillet. Place a tortilla on it, sprinkle some shredded cheese over it (avoid the edges), immediately cover with another tortilla. Let heat, flip when cheese is getting melty and just before bottom tortilla wants to scorch.

Toast both sides lightly on hot skillet (or nuke lightly, I guess). Spread with butter, sprinkle with cinnamon/sugar mixture.

Rats! Tried to use PhotoBucket, but ain't working. and these photos are in the reverse order.

Artist, GretchDragon
TY, Gretch!
Top of page
Send private message Make a quoted reply on this post
PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2011 1:16 pm
MsCMSchultz

rolling out, rolled out, and baking

Artist, GretchDragon
TY, Gretch!
Top of page
PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2011 1:18 pm
MsCMSchultz

flipped, Freshly made, assembled taco

Artist, GretchDragon
TY, Gretch!
Top of page
PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2011 1:48 pm
IRPescador

Dude you need to invest in one of these "tortilla press"

Your tortilla "production" will be much higher and that my friend equals more tacos! Smile

Great recipe! Thanks

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2011 1:50 pm
MsCMSchultz

IRPescador wrote:
Dude you need to invest in one of these "tortilla press"

Your tortilla "production" will be much higher and that my friend equals more tacos! Smile

Great recipe! Thanks

<<Sigh>> Tried that--really, I did--worked better for tortillas de masa, but still, i guess i prefer playing with my food before, during and after.

Artist, GretchDragon
TY, Gretch!
Top of page
PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2011 1:58 pm
IRPescador

I hear you..I guess that is part of the fun Wink

I've seen some women in Mexico that they just form the tortillas by slapping the dough...kind of like the pizza guys...that's some mad skills right there! Smile

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2011 2:17 pm
MsCMSchultz

IRPescador wrote:
I hear you..I guess that is part of the fun Wink

I've seen some women in Mexico that they just form the tortillas by slapping the dough...kind of like the pizza guys...that's some mad skills right there! Smile

and yes, i do try that--flying sheets of dough which wrap themselves around my hands and arms--i wanna pat and slap too.

Artist, GretchDragon
TY, Gretch!
Top of page
PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2011 2:40 pm
IRPescador

There you go my friend:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O6jtCMXaw-I

Smile

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2011 3:28 pm
CRASS

did you watch Good Eats last night, too? Wink

كافر
Top of page
PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2011 5:51 pm
IRPescador

Nope, been living cable free (payed TV), for 6 months now...long live the Internet!!...but I did like that show a lot!
PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2011 6:04 am
illcatchanything2

Thanks for the recipe. Sounds a lot like Pie Crust. Im gonna try it tonight Smile.
PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2011 7:56 am
MsCMSchultz

Now that u mention it, yes it is--if u can make pie crust, u can make these.

i also have a recipe for corn tortillas somewhere....

Artist, GretchDragon
TY, Gretch!
Top of page
PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2011 10:47 am
la mosca

Good looking TACOS!!! Smile
Awesome go on the "Tortillas de Harina" (flour tortillas). When I first started on these, you have to either rotate your body to get the pin to roll over the flour in a "multi-directional" fashion or rotate and flip the flour tortilla you are working with, every two or three pin-rolls, so that you can get the nice "circle" tortillas.
Try using "Manteca", aka Lard, instead of oil if your diet permits, it adds a distinct flavor to the tortillas that will astonish you. Better yet, render some smoked bacon fat or lard from carnitas and you're good to go!
Corn tortillas are easily made in the "tortilla machine" pic posted above, but I prefer to use the wooden machines though. Do not try to make flour tortillas on these machines, they will stick to the plastic/wax paper lining.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2011 11:41 am
MsCMSchultz

i also try to roll (if u imagine a clock face) from noon to 6:00, then 2 to 8, then 10-4, 1-7, then 11-5, then 3-9--or something like that.

buti didnt want to confuse anybody, cuz it's more important to TRY and keep trying, cuz if i can do it and hear, "Gee, I wish you'd make tortillas more often," [Riiiiiight--find a chipmunk to do the other stuff around the house for me!], then you can too.

Artist, GretchDragon
TY, Gretch!
Top of page
PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2011 7:41 am
slowriprun

we make a bread, south asian style, called chapati; it's basically a tortilla. The 'trick' to slapping it back and forth between the hands to produce an even and round bread is a combination of spinning it, without stopping, applying pressure to thicker portions and allowing gravity to pull down on the dough to stretch it.
Initially, my natural instinct was to face my palms upward while holding the dough. That defeats the force of gravity. The palms need to face one another. However, with the palms in that direction and while spinning it, the dough frequently left my hands and fell to the kitchen floor.

The thing is that the "pin" method doesn't produce the same quality bread as the hand tossed method. It seems as if it should, but it doesn't, in my oppinion. While the pin does create a uniform thickness, it does so at the expense of some sorta molecular cost. In other words, it's like over beating pancake batter. The soft/gentle tecture is lost. It's a pain and a mess to learn, but well worth it. The elderly 'indian/pakistani' women prove it to me every time I scoop up a piece of curried fish with it.

PFIC Message Boards >> Seafood Recipes Reply to this topic
Page 1 of 2  Page 1, 2  Next
Jump to: